Was browsing the web and came a across a number of theories on how we learn practical skills.
* Imitation — Observing and patterning behavior after someone else – normally the coach. Performance may be of low quality ( definitely in my case).
* Manipulation — Being able to perform certain actions by following instructions.
* Precision — Refining, becoming more exact. Few errors are apparent. Getting it “just right.”
* Articulation — Coordinating a series of actions, achieving harmony and internal consistency. Flow !!
* Naturalization — Having high level performance become natural, without needing to think much about it. Second nature.
There are a couple of other models which talk about being able to adapt our movements and even create movements ourselves. It seems the BJJ journey is just another educational trip !!!